The highlight, the main point, the dream of my gap year was spending at least 3 months in the UK.
Now, while the UK is apparently still allowing visitors, there’s too many things which make a trip undoable.
- The risks! We don’t want to catch it.
- Internal social isolation laws. What’s the point of travelling if you have to stay inside? And most places are shut, anyway.
- No travel insurance would cover us for the virus.
- Lack of flights. There are just no flights and what ones exist are too expensive.
- Travel restrictions when coming back into Australia.
We could spend the year travelling around Australia and pottering at home. But that isn’t what I wanted to do.
So we have decided to postpone our gap year.
Yes, things may change, so we haven’t totally committed to postponing our gap year. But we have discussed it, considered it and flagged it with our respective bosses.
We don’t have to make formally apply until 4 weeks before the end of year. But we will formally request it, if we decide to postpone by Term 4.
I’m not sad about this.
Cause we will still get a gap year. And the additional year at work will be on full pay, so we can focus on knocking a far bit off our mortgage.